St Vincent’s is a Listed Category B Building within the Old and New Towns of Edinburgh’s World Heritage Site and within the New Town Conservation Area.
Details: Historic Environment Scotland
13 ST VINCENT STREET, ST VINCENT CHURCH (EPISCOPAL), INCLUDING GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS LB45522
Group Category Details: A – see notes
Date Added: 24/03/1998
Local Authority: Edinburgh
Planning Authority: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
NGR: NT 24942 74574
Coordinates: 324942, 674574
J, W H & J M Hay, 1857. English Gothic church, comprising 5-bay nave to S, with 4-bay aisle to N. Stugged, squared and snecked rubble walls; polished ashlar dressings and details including base course, staggered cill course, eaves course, and long and short quoins to windows and corners. Curvilinear tracery.
N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: buttressed and gabled entrance porch to right of centre, pointed-arch door with roll-moulded head and colonnette to jambs; 2-leaf vertically boarded timber door, with iron hinges and foliate decoration. 2 bays to outer right slightly advanced; square towerlet in penultimate bay, with lancet window facing N, and tall pyramidal stone roof with iron cross finial; vertically boarded timber door to outer right, in recessed pointed arch doorpiece. Bipartite windows in bays to left of porch, in recessed 2 centred arches. Decorative floriate iron hinges. Basement area to left of entrance porch, slightly advanced, with 2-leaf vertically boarded timber doors in segmental arched recessed doorpiece, to right, and infilled doorpiece at centre and left (possibly vaults supporting stone floor).
E ELEVATION: chancel gable slightly lower than nave gable, with aisle gable recessed to outer right; canted vestry set across re-entrant angle between chancel and aisle; corniced, with blocking course; 3 traceried lights centred to E elevation; vertically boarded timber door with decorative iron hinges to N elevation.
S ELEVATION: 5-bay, comprising 3 bipartite pointed arched windows at centre; tripartite pointed arched window in gable breaking eaves, attached to rendered and coped stack, with circular can, to outer left; recessed S elevation of chancel to outer right, with single bipartite pointed arched window at centre.
W ELEVATION: obscured by adjoining terrace.
INTERIOR: circular piers to arcade between nave and aisle; scissor-braced roof. Organ by William Townsend, 1872; rebuilt by Blackett and Howden, 1897.
Variety of traceried curvilinear stained glass windows, including late 19th century lights in E window; heraldic display by A Carrick Whalen, 1975. Grey slate roof, alternating bands with fish-scale slates. Predominantly cross finials to gables. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Ashlar skews copes with gabletted skewputts.
RAILINGS AND GATEPIERS: ashlar copes surmounted by cast-iron railings with foliate cross finials. Stone chamfered square gatepiers with shallow pyramidal caps.